Rehab Smarter Notice of Privacy Practices
Revised November 2016
REHAB SMARTER is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your protected health information (“PHI”) as defined by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”) noted at “HIPAA; Pub.L. 104–191, 110 Stat. 1936”. PHI is information that can identify you (such as your name, social security number, address, phone number) or your past, present or future physical or mental health and/or condition, or your reimbursement/payment for the provision of healthcare. In the act of doing business, REHAB SMARTER will have access to and create records that contain your PHI. HIPPA law requires us to maintain your privacy and provide you notice of its legal duties and privacy practices. You can access a copy of this notice on the patient portal.
We may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide as permitted or allowed by law, as follows:
- For healthcare treatment and operations.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- As required by law, which can include providing information as required by law, regulation, subpoena, court order, legal process or government request.
- As authorized by, and to the extent necessary to comply with Worker’s Compensation programs and other similar programs relating to work-related illnesses or injuries.
- Upon your written authorization, to the extent such use or disclosure is consistent with your authorization. You may revoke such authorization at any time.
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect your safety or the safety of others, to protect our rights, to investigate fraud, or to respond to a government request.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of REHAB SMARTER’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information maintained by the Site is among the assets transferred.
REHAB SMARTER may also use your PHI for the following reasons or purposed (as applicable by law):
- To provide you with REHAB SMARTER Services
- To notify you when information is available or regarding an appointment.
- To provide you with a detailed bill to provide your Insurance Provider as requested for processing and payment of claims and other charges.
- To communicate with you about services or fulfill any other purpose.
- To market and promote REHAB SMARTER and our services when given your authorization.
- For any other purpose that you have given REHAB SMARTER authorization to use.
Information we Collect via Technology
By use of this Site or Service, certain information may be passively collected:
- Cookies. Cookies are small files that are stored on your computer when you access a Site so that when you visit the Site again it can recognize your browser. You can refuse or set your computer to not allow cookies but some of the features on our Site may not function properly or fully without them. Cookies are also used to help us improve the quality of our service.
- Site Activity Information. We may keep track of some of the actions you take on the Site, such as the content of searches you perform on the Site. These are used to improve our Site and visibility.
- Access Device and Browser Information. When you access the Site from a computer or other device, we may collect anonymous information from that device, such as your Internet protocol address, browser type, connection speed and access times. Again, this is solely used to improve our Site and visibility.
- Non Personal Information.We may use non-personal information (information that does not link personally to you) without restriction.
Your rights regarding Your PHI
You have the following rights regarding the PHI maintained by REHAB SMARTER:
- Confidential Communication: You have the right to receive confidential communication regarding your PHI. You may submit any requests to communicate to you through alternative means or an alternate location and REHAB SMARTER will do our best to accommodate your reasonable requests.
- Restrictions: You have the right to request certain restrictions be placed on the use or disclosure of your PHI to only certain individuals involved in your care. Please make these requests in writing to the address noted below. REHAB SMARTER is not required to comply with this request. Should REHAB SMARTER agree to comply with this request, it will bound to this agreement except in the case of an emergency or as required by law.
- Inspection and copies: You may request a copy of your PHI. This must be done in writing and sent to the address below. You agree to pay all associated fees for the copying, mailing, labor, and supplies used for this request. In certain limited circumstances, REHAB SMARTER may deny your request but will inform you of the reason, should this occur. If denied, you may request a review of the denial in writing.
- Amendments: If you find portions of your PHI to be inaccurate or incomplete, you may send a written request to REHAB SMARTER to amend this information along with a reason supporting the requested amendment. Under certain circumstances, REHAB SMARTER may deny your request but will inform you of the reason, should this occur. If denied, you may submit a statement of disagreement for inclusion in your records.
Security of PHI Collected
We use state of the art safeguards and security measures via SSL technology to protect and keep your PHI confidential. Despite all possible safeguards, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment. As with all electronic communications, we cannot fully guarantee, ensure, or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us can not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any methods we use for safeguards. There may also be hardware, software or connection or power failures or delays out of our control that could result in lost or intercepted data during transmission. We cannot be held responsible for the guarantee that the confidentiality or security of electronic transmissions via the Internet can be assured due to potentially unsecured computers and links. It is your responsibility to ensure your login information remains private and to use good judgment before deciding to send information via the Internet. Please note: E-mails, texts, and other communications you send to us through our Site or cell phones are not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to use these methods to send confidential PHI.
Third Party Sites. This site may contain links to other non-affiliated sites. REHAB SMARTER does not share PHI with those sites, unless specifically authorized by you. REHAB SMARTER is not responsible for the privacy policies of any site linked to this website and not wholly owned and controlled by REHAB SMARTER. We only affiliate with trusted partners and organizations which are also bound by state and federal laws governing privacy and security. When leaving our Site we strongly suggest you read any privacy policies of that site.
Changes to Your Information. If you need to update your personal information or close your online account, submit a request to Jay@RehabSmarter.com. We may, however, retain a copy of the information for archival purposes, and to avoid identity theft or fraud.
Report Violations. Please report any security violations to us by sending an email to Jay@RehabSmarter.com
Users under 18 years Old: Access to use our Site should be performed under direct parent or guardian supervision. Individuals under the age of 18 are not permitted to create accounts to access our Site or Services or use our Site or Services without direct supervision.
REHAB SMARTER, Inc.
4541 Timbery Drive
Jefferson, MD 21755-7701